Learn how to build solid templates for the Datylon Server with Datylon for Illustrator
The Datylon Server is a platform which allows organizations to automate the production of charts, pages or complete reports based on graphically rich and on-brand templates created with Datylon for Illustrator.
This article focuses on how to design failure free templates in Datylon for Illustrator and export them to the Datylon Server online. If you want to know more about how to integrate the Datylon Render Server, click here.
At first, start small. Build a template with a single bar or line chart and a small data set for your developer who is getting started with the integration.
Creating templates with Datylon for Illustrator
Before you start
Always use the latest released version of Datylon for Illustrator which can be downloaded with your Datylon account from https://insights.datylon.com/plugin.
Only Illustrator artboards in RGB color mode can be uploaded as templates. Read more about color modes and how to convert CMYK charts to RGB here: https://help.datylon.com/color-modes-in-datylon-graph
Design, Formatting & Styling
- Make sure the Datylon chart box falls within the borders of the Illustrator artboard. Charts outside the artboard borders will be ignored during export.
- Test the data range. Some charts give an error with zero or negative values in uploaded data sets. If you use Min & Max value in axes (Styling > X or Y axis > Min value and Max value), make sure those fall within the expected range of the future data. Also note some charts do give an error in case the data contains empty cells.
- Test the category range of the expected data set. Some datasets might come with more or less categories as in your template designs. Check also for overlapping labels etc.
- In case of multi series charts, test the minimum and maximum number of series. Make sure you have enough series created as can be expected in future data sets.
- Test the labels with the expected minimum and maximum number of characters and words. Note that labels which run outside the chart box will be clipped.
- If possible, avoid the use of data point styling (Styling > Series > “Series name” > All Data). It is supported, but only works well if the number of data points is exactly the same in each data set.
- Data formatting settings (under Formatting tab), are kept on condition the input data set is formatted the same as the template data set.
Data sheet Manager
- Only use the default workbook called quite logically “default workbook”. The default workbook shall contain one or more datasheets.
- Give the charts and specifically the data sheets logical names as they need to be referred to in the data which is sent to the Datylon Render Server.
- Remove unused datasheets before exporting the template (Manage data > Remove unused).
Export to Datylon web app
Illustrator menu > Window > Extensions > Datylon Account
- Only one artboard, the active one, can be exported at a time.
- Fonts need to be embedded in the template. Make sure the Embed fonts radio button is enabled.
- You can export your template to any Datylon account as long as you have the Datylon account email and password.
- The Illustrator document has to be saved before it can be exported to the Datylon web app.
For support please use the contact form or chat in the Help Center, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.